In the heart of San Gregorio Armeno street, famous worldwide for the Neapolitan nativity scenes, there is an incredible underground hidden and mysterious place: the Church of Santa Luciella ai Librai.
It was founded by Bartolomeo di Capua in 1327 and it became later a place of worship for the Corporation of Stone Masons, Rock Cutters and Construction Workers, who asked Santa Luciella protection since they often risked their eyesight because of their job, because rock and stone chips would fly into them as they worked.
The Church, entrusted to Respiriamo Arte Cultural Association since 2016, was saved and reopened after 30 years of abandon and decay.
The Association founded by four young Neapolitans, made the Church usable again once they completed all the safety setting of the Building, and now guided tours and Cultural events are possible.
Beneath the Church the famous Skull with Ears is enshrined; since the 20th century Neapolitans came to pray to it hoping that the skull, listening, would take their prayers to the afterworld; as if it were a messenger between the world of the living and the world of the dead.
- Underground access
- Skull with ears
- Maiolica tiles
- Neapolitan nativity scenes district “San Gregorio Armeno”
- Skip the Line service
- Design and creation of the tour
- Authorized Guide service
- Archaeologist/Art Historian
- Price: 90 euro